At the end of a decade as the Ombudsperson, today Raymonde Saint-Germain presented her findings and recommendations on the occasion of the tabling of the Québec Ombudsman’s 2015-2016 Annual Report in the National Assembly.
- September 29 2016Annual Reports
- September 29 2016Annual ReportsAs Québec’s Correctional Ombudsman, the Québec Ombudsman is tasked to ensure that the rights of detainees in Québec correctional facilities are upheld. This year, with chronic prison overcrowding as a backdrop, its findings mainly concern the transfer of female inmates from Maison Tanguay to Leclerc de Laval correctional facility.
- September 15 2016Special ReportsToday the Québec Ombudsman released an investigation report presenting its findings and recommendations concerning the public compensation system for crime victims (IVAC).
- June 16 2016Special ReportsIn a special report released on June 16, 2016, the Québec Ombudsman shed light on the difficulties tenants in private seniors’ residences experience in having their rights upheld when they have to face off against the owner in court. It issued seven recommendations aimed at giving these seniors a fair chance to defend their rights.
- February 18 2016Special ReportsFurther to an investigation in Nunavik, the Québec Ombudsman, in its capacity as Québec’s correctional watchdog, concluded that detention conditions there are substandard, that the administration of justice should take the specific characteristics of the territory into better account, and that crime prevention measures are woefully lacking.
- February 9 2016Bills and legislationAppearing on February 9, 2016, before the Committee on Labour and the Economy concerning Bill 70 – An Act to allow a better match between training and jobs and to facilitate labour market entry, Ombudsperson Raymonde Saint-Germain said that she subscribes to the goals of the Bill but pointed out that she has serious reservations about how the Aim for Employment Program would be applied.
- February 9 2016Bills and legislation“If the goal of the future Act is to make the disclosure of wrongdoings easier and to establish a system for protecting against reprisals, it will also enable swift action upstream to prevent wrongdoings, in the public interest.” This is how Ombudsperson Raymonde Saint-Germain sees it. On February 9, 2016, she presented a brief on Bill 87, An Act to facilitate the disclosure of wrongdoings within public bodies.
- December 1 2015Special ReportsIn a report on the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) released today, the Québec Ombudsman calls attention to waiting periods of more than two years on average (results from a sample of 63 files handled by the SAAQ between 2012 and 2014) before the homes of severely injured persons are adapted to these people’s new condition.
- September 17 2015Annual ReportsThe 2014-2015 Annual Report of the Québec Ombudsman was tabled today in the National Assembly.
- September 17 2015Annual ReportsThis year, in its capacity as Québec’s Correctional Ombudsman, the Québec Ombudsman once more noted problems with prison overcrowding and the many resulting transfers.