Health and social services

In health and social services, the Protecteur du citoyen can intervene two ways:  

I want to file a complaint for myself or a friend or family member

As a rule, we act at the second level. First you have to contact the service quality and complaints commissioner of the health institution concerned.

File a complaint

I want to report a situation that I witnessed

Have you seen a situation that worries you in the health and social services network? Do you feel that service users’ rights have been breached?