Making a report | Protecteur du Citoyen

Making a report

If you see a situation that worries you or seems to indicate that there have been shortcomings or injustice in public services, whether a government department or agency or an institution within the health and social services network, you can ask the Québec Ombudsman to intervene directly for the well-being of the people concerned. Following the report, the Québec Ombudsman goes on to decide whether or not an investigation is needed.

You can report a situation using our online form or  by phone at 1-800-463-5070 (toll-free). 

Your report must contain:

  • a description of the situation and the date of the events; 
  • if possible, information for identifying the user(s) concerned; 
  • the name of the institution concerned; 
  • the name and contact information of the person(s) reporting the situation.