If I have a complaint regarding a merchant, where do I go?


The Office de la protection du consommateur can intervene if you are having trouble with a merchant or, more broadly, with the consumer sector.

For example, it can help you if you have problems after:

  • buying or leasing a car;
  • taking out a cable subscription;
  • registering for a 10-lesson course.

If you are not sure, contact us and we will refer you to the right resource.