Financial support for children with disabilities: what happens when the children turn 18?

  • September 15, 2021
  • Autism, Intellectual disabilities and pervasive developmental disorders, Family, Physical disability, Troubled youth
Jeune homme atteint de trisomie buvant un café avec sa mère

For the parent of a child with a disability, the age of majority may be a difficult transition that comes with plenty of questions. What will happen to the benefits I qualified for? Will I still have access to services?

Adulthood changes everything

At age 18, even severely disabled people become adults. This means that their parents are no longer their legal representatives. Any person of legal age who can make decisions and manage their affairs has the right to this independence. As a result, the new adult is issued any financial assistance.

If the person with a disability is incapacitated, the parents must take legal steps to continue to represent him or her legally.

Different benefits and not always equivalent

When children reach the age of majority, the parent no longer gets Family Allowance benefits. Same thing for the supplement for handicapped children. However, the person with a disability may qualify for other support measures:

Spread the news.
Various programs are available for employers to hire, integrate and keep people with disabilities on the job.

Other measures and organizations that provide assistance and support

There are other measures for the parents of dependent children with disabilities, no matter the child’s age (see our article on the subject).

Most of the services offered by your local community service centre (CLSC) can continue. Ask your child’s caseworker about this. For a first-time request, contact the integrated or integrated university health and social services centre (CISSS/CIUSSS) near you.

For an overview of all provincial measures and programs, visit

Difficulties or problems with the process?

The Office des personnes handicapées du Québec (OPHQ) offers direct services to families. It can help you to understand the various programs and to apply for them.

The Québec Ombudsman handles complaints about Québec government departments and agencies. This includes the OPHQ, Revenu Québec and the Curateur public. We also handle complaints concerning health institutions (CISSSs and CIUSSSs) at the second level of recourse.

If you are dissatisfied with the services received, contact us. Our services are confidential and free.