If I want to file a complaint about a school, is the Québec Ombudsman the right form of recourse?


No. The Québec Ombudsman cannot accept complaints about schools, whether they be public or private. Instead, you must contact the student ombudsman of the institution concerned. The student ombudsman is responsible for handling complaints concerning teaching staff or school principals, for example. The contact information for student ombudsmen is on the Gouvernement du Québec website.