Victims of spousal or sexual violence: the law protects you

  • May 18, 2022
  • Crimes, Justice, Police, Work
Marteau de juge posé sur le bureau d'une personne prenant des notes

Whether your assailant is a spouse, an ex-spouse, a parent or anyone else, the law provides different ways of ensuring you stay safe.

Out of harm’s way

At work

The assailant’s hold over the victim sometimes extends to the workplace. Violence can take the form of inappropriate visits, messages or calls, threats, or lurking. The assailant may also try to turn your colleagues against you.

Because employers must provide a safe workplace for you, they have a role to play in protecting you. For example, they can:

At home

If you no longer feel safe in your apartment, you can give up your lease without being penalized.

Don’t know where to go? Need help seeing your way clear? There are several free resources.


If your safety is threatened, you can ask the court for a restraining order. You don’t have to file a complaint against the person or prove their guilt. And you don’t need an attorney.

Filing a complaint… with support

Deciding to file a complaint against an assailant is often difficult. It’s good to know that tribunals that specialize in situations of spousal or sexual violence are slowly sprouting up across Québec. The purpose of the tribunals is to make victims safe and help them with their legal proceedings, Support is offered every step of the way and there is little contact with the accused. For example, the victim can testify outside the courtroom during a hearing.

Want to file a complaint against your assailant? Contact the police.

Protection, child custody, unable to work… Do you want to know your rights as a victim? You can have a legal consultation free of charge, even if you don’t file a complaint with the police: Rebâtir (1-833-REBATIR).

Problems with services?

If you’re dissatisfied with the public services you received, recourse is available.

Want to complain...