Snowbirds and teleworkers: planning an extended stay outside Québec

  • January 17, 2024
  • Prescription drug insurance, Health insurance, Emploi, Studies, Hospital, Taxes, Work
Female traveler sitting on the beach and working on her laptop.

If you're planning to spend several months outside the province, you should be aware that an extended stay could disqualify you from your health insurance coverage or certain tax credits.

Health insurance and the 183-day rule

To maintain health insurance coverage, you must not be away from Québec for 183 days or more per year.

To calculate the total number of days absent, tally all out-of-province stays of more than 21 consecutive days during the calendar year. The days of departure and return do not count. If necessary, use the calculation tool provided by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).

There are exceptions to the presence-in-Québec rule. For example, under certain conditions, your coverage may be maintained despite an extended stay abroad when:

In addition, every seven years, you may be outside Québec for 183 days or more for personal reasons. However, you must inform RAMQ. 

Check whether your eligibility can be maintained during your absence by calling RAMQ before leaving Québec. Have you been living in Québec for less than a year? You must declare any absence of more than 21 days.

Tax and tax residence

As a rule, your tax residence is in Québec even if you live in another province or abroad. Your tax residence determines the province in which you must file your tax return and the province that can provide you with government credits and programs.

To determine your tax residence, your links with Québec are taken into account. The most important ties are your home, your spouse and your dependants. The length and frequency of your visits to Québec and your intention to return at the end of your stay are factored in as well.

No longer resident in Québec for tax purposes? In certain situations, you may have to file a tax return in Québec. For example, if: 

Any questions or problems?

To fully understand the impact of a stay abroad on your situation, contact RAMQ and Revenu Québec before you leave.

If you feel that a RAMQ or Revenu Québec decision is incorrect, file:

Are you dissatisfied with the quality of services you have received from a Québec government department or agency? Turn to the Québec Ombudsman. Our services are confidential and free of charge.