Does the amount of your notice of assessment from Revenu Québec seem off?

  • May 24, 2023
  • Taxes
Confused citizen looking at his papers while talking on the phone

After filing your provincial tax return, did you receive a notice of assessment that seemed inaccurate? You can do something about it.

Contact Revenu Québec

Start by carefully reading all the documents you received concerning your notice of assessment. Have them handy when you call Revenu Québec (1-800-267-6299, option 1).

You can:

Did you talk to an agent and are still dissatisfied with the content of your notice of assessment? You can file an objection.

Important: Generally, you have 90 days after the date of the notice of assessment to submit a notice of objection. Start the process right away so that you can make the deadline.

First recourse: object

You can file a notice of objection if you believe that:

For any other situation, request intervention from the Bureau de la protection des droits de la clientèle instead. The Bureau also handles complaints concerning the quality of Revenu Québec services.

To object:

  1. Gather up all the documents and information about your file. For certain documents, you can make a request for information or for access to information.
  2. Fill out the Notice of objection form that corresponds to your situation (MR-93.1.1 or FP-159). You can also write a letter describing in detail why you disagree and all the supporting facts. Include the date and the number of the notice of assessment concerned, as well as your contact information.
  3. Submit your notice of objection, with a copy of the notice of assessment and all supporting documents. If you are mailing in the form, send photocopies and keep the originals.

There are no fees for notices of objection. An agent will follow-up with you about your notice. Normally, a decision is rendered within 6 to 12 months.

Do you have an amount to reimburse? Revenu Québec will not do anything to collect it while the notice of objection is being processed. However, interest on the debt continues to accrue until the amount is paid in full or is cancelled.

Second recourse: contest the decision

If the review decision does not satisfy you, you have 90 days to:

If Revenu Québec has not rendered a decision after 6 months, you can approach these courts.

You are not obliged to use the services of a professional (attorney, tax expert, accountant) to contest. However, they may be useful in helping you prepare your case. Their honoraria are tax-deductible for the year during which they were paid.

Problems in interacting with Revenu Québec?

The Québec Ombudsman can help you. For example, contact us if:

Our services are confidential and free.