The Québec Ombudsman’s activities are governed by several laws that set out its powers to investigate and intervene:
- Public Protector Act
- Act respecting the Health and Social Services Ombudsman
- Act to facilitate the disclosure of wrongdoings relating to public bodies
- Act respecting public inquiry commissions
In handling citizens’ complaints, we often refer to the following acts:
- Act respecting administrative justice
This law establishes the obligations of government departments and agencies regarding the individual decisions they make about natural or legal persons.
- Act respecting health services and social services
This law establishes the health and social services system and sets out the rights of citizens to these services.
The following directives, policies and other prescriptive documents are also used in decision-making when processing files:
- Policy on the language of communication at the Québec Ombudsman (French version only - PDF, 34 KB)
- Policy on the disclosure of personal information with a view to protecting endangered persons (French version only - PDF, 264 KB)
- Procedure regarding the misplacement, loss or theft of personal information (French version only - PDF, 84 KB)