Draft Homeschooling Regulation
In a letter to the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports, the Québec Ombudsman commented on the draft Homeschooling Regulation. More specifically, its comments addressed the follow-up to the recommendations it made in its special report entitled Home schooling: for the respect of children’s right to education.
The Québec Ombudsman began by expressing its satisfaction with the work thus far by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MÉES) to review the legal and regulatory framework for homeschooling.
However, it commented on various aspects of the draft Regulation, concerning in particular:
- the sharing of responsibilities and obligations among MÉES, school boards and parents;
- the form and content of learning projects;
- implementation of learning projects and the handling of related difficulties;
- evaluation of the student’s progress;
- school boards’ support role;
- the date on which the Regulation comes into force;
- the recourse offered to parents in the event of a dispute with MÉES.