Loans and bursaries: the Department turns down a financial assistance application by mistake
A student applied for financial assistance which the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur refused to grant her. The Department considered that she had received the maximum loan amount to which she was entitled for college-level studies. She complained to the Québec Ombudsman.
- The student went back to school at the college level.
- In the past, she had received financial assistance for a college program.
- When she applied for student financial assistance, her file indicated that she had received the maximum loan amount to which she was entitled for college-level studies.
- However, slightly before she had applied for financial assistance, she had sent the Department documents so that the loans were converted into bursaries, which brought down her debt level.
- The student therefore became eligible for a student loan.
- The investigation by the Québec Ombudsman showed that the computer system had not been updated simultaneously, causing the application to be turned down.
After the Québec Ombudsman intervened, the Bureau des recours de l’aide financière aux études reviewed the student’s file. The Department went on to grant her the student financial assistance to which she was entitled.
The Québec Ombudsman ensures that your rights are upheld in your dealings with Québec public services. Are you dissatisfied with the services of a Government of Québec department or agency? Or with those of a health and social services network institution (2nd level of recourse)? File a complaint with the Québec Ombudsman by calling 1-800-463-5070 or use our online complaint form.