Detention: detainees without money have the right to a change of clothing
A detainee without money asked for a change of clothing. Without any news about his request after two weeks, he complained to the Québec Ombudsman.
- The citizen had no money and no visitors indicated.
- He asked the facility for a change of clothing.
- No one responded to his request.
- Two weeks later, he was still wearing the same clothes.
- The Regulation under the Act respecting the Québec correctional system states that every inmate who does not own appropriate clothing must receive such clothing.
- The facility should have at least given him socks and underwear as soon as he requested them.
After the Québec Ombudsman intervened, the correctional facility gave the citizen a change of clothing.
The Québec Ombudsman ensures that your rights are upheld in your dealings with Québec public services. Are you dissatisfied with the services of a Government of Québec department or agency? Or with those of a health and social services network institution (2nd level of recourse)? File a complaint with the Québec Ombudsman by calling 1-800-463-5070 or use our online complaint form.