Intervention report concerning Carrefour d’alimentation et de partage Saint-Barnabé
Pursuant to its jurisdiction regarding community organizations subject to the Act respecting health services and social services, the Québec Ombudsman investigated the living conditions at the social housing units managed by Carrefour d’alimentation et de partage Saint-Barnabé, namely, the Espérance, Viau and Sainte-Catherine residences, in Montréal.
The investigation was conducted further to information received concerning poor pest management as well as deficient supervision of the residents, janitorial services and the disciplinary process.
The Québec Ombudsman did indeed note:
- A bedbug problem that had persisted since 2015;
- Lack of laundry access for residents dealing with bedbugs;
- Inconsistent supervision of the residents;
- No updated building bylaws to better reflect daily life;
- No clear and objective disciplinary sanction procedure;
- No follow-up on maintenance requests in the buildings.
The Québec Ombudsman made seven recommendations to the community organization aimed at correcting the various shortcomings. The latter agreed to implement the recommendations.