Need help applying for social assistance? | Protecteur du Citoyen
August 14, 2019

Need help applying for social assistance?


Femme portant un micro-casque

The Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale manages the social assistance program, which is one of its last-resort financial assistance programs. You must therefore apply to the Department for benefits.


In dealing with public services, it’s not always easy to find your way. Often, you must provide information, meet conditions and deadlines, or claim amounts of money.

Whether for you or for a family member, if you ask it to, the Department is obliged to:

  • Help you understand the social assistance program;
  • Help with the process of accessing the program;
  • Give you all necessary information for filling out the forms. 

You can also ask a Department employee to help you fill out a form if:

  • You can’t do it yourself because you are illiterate or have a physical disability.
  • You can’t get help from your family or an organization because of physical or transportation constraints or distance.

Contact the Québec Ombudsman

Are you having trouble with the process of obtaining social assistance? You can turn to the Québec Ombudsman. You can also lodge a complaint if you feel that you’re not getting the amounts you are eligible for. Our services are free, confidential, and there’s no red tape.