Parental insurance (1): news for adoptive parents
In some ways, welcoming an adopted child into your life is very different from welcoming a biological child. To better respond to the specific needs surrounding adoption, the Québec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) has been improved, with new measures taking effect between October 29 and December 1, 2020.
What you need to remember
Welcome and support benefits have been added to existing adoption benefits.
- As of December 1, 2020, they are available to parents who welcome a child with a view to adopting him or her;
- They can be shared between the two parents;
- For an adoption in Québec, they can begin as of the first week of the child’s arrival;
- For an adoption outside of Québec, they can begin five weeks before the week of the child’s arrival;
- They must be taken within 52 weeks of the child’s arrival.
The total duration of the benefits for two parents and the income replacement percentage depend on which plan you choose.
Basic plan (55% to 70% of income):
- Welcome and support benefits: 13 weeks
- Adoption benefits: 42 weeks
Special plan (75% of income):
- Welcome and support benefits: 12 weeks
- Adoption benefits: 31 weeks
Did you know that…?
Are you receiving benefits and thinking about working during the COVID-19 pandemic? There are flexibility measures allowing you to interrupt or defer your parental leave. For all the details, call the QPIP at 1-888-610-7727.
Questions or problems?
Want to know more about current and future measures? Visit the QPIP website.
Want to file a complaint about QPIP services? Contact the Québec Ombudsman. Our services are confidential and free.
Coming soon: Parental insurance (2): news for all parents